The Labour Market
- Unemployment is 1,749,000, down 24,000 from last month’s published figure (quarterly headline down 103,000) and the unemployment rate is 5.3%, down 0.1 percentage points on last month and down 0.3 percentage points on last quarter.
- The number of claimant unemployed is 795,500, up 3,300 on last month, and the claimant rate is 2.3%.
- The number of workless young people (not in employment, full-time education or training) is 1,033,000, down 39,000 on the quarter, representing 14.3% of the youth population (down 0.5 percentage points).
- Youth unemployment (including students) is 653,000, down 85,000 on the quarter.
- There are 2.4 unemployed people per vacancy.
- The employment rate is 73.7% (up 0.2 percentage points on last month’s published figure and up 0.3 percentage points in the preferred quarterly measure).
Categorised in: News